The main purpose of a laser safety audit is to ensure that your company’s employees are safe working with or around lasers as advised by American National Standards Institute (ANSI). We employ a team of experienced Certified Laser Safety Officers (CLSOs) to perform laser safety audits for customers in manufacturing, building/construction, education, R&D, entertainment and healthcare.
Each laser safety audit is custom as client’s needs vary by industry, number of lasers, classification of lasers, etc. Our CLSO will work with you to put an estimate together that addresses your specific requirements for engineering, administrative, and procedural control measures, and training and appointment of LSO.
The core of the auditing process is laser hazard analysis. It evaluates your entire laser or laser system operation and environment and checks for any laser safety deficiencies. Your laser hazard analysis may include:
- Reviewing laser or laser system’s built-in safety features
- Performing Nominal Hazard Zone (NHZ) Analysis and Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) calculations for each laser
- Reviewing engineering control measures (i.e. protective housing, service access panel, collecting optics, etc.)
- Reviewing administrative controls (i.e. standard operating procedures, laser safety training for LSO and users, etc.)
- Review laser controlled area for signs and labels, if applicable
- Reviewing personal protective equipment (PPE) such as laser safety eyewear
- Reviewing non-beam control measures
In addition, our CLSO will provide a refresher laser safety training to company’s LSO and/or laser personnel as part of ANSI’s recommendation on routine laser safety training. All participating employees will receive Certificates of Attendance.
At the end of the audit, our customer will receive a copy of the Laser Hazard Analysis Report, containing a summary of the laser hazard analysis, and the CLSO’s Recommendations on the findings.
Here is an Example of a Laser Safety Audit Estimate:
To learn more about laservision’s auditing process, or to get an estimate, please email, chat online, or call one of our CLSOs at 800-393-5565.
ANSI Z136 Standards
Our CLSO uses ANSI Z136 standards as an approved benchmark for laser safety auditing. Currently, there are nine standards on the safe use of lasers in ANSI Z136 each applying to a specific industry or application. Our CLSO will advise you on which standards applies in your case.
- ANSI Z136.1-2014: Safe Use of Lasers (parent document)
- ANSI Z136.2-2012: Safe Use of Optical Fiber Communication Systems Utilizing Laser Diode and LED Sources
- ANSI Z136.3-2011: Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care
- ANSI Z136.4-2010: Recommended Practice for Laser Safety Measurements for Hazard Evaluations
- ANSI Z136.5-2009: Safe Use of Lasers in Educational Institutions
- ANSI Z136.6-2005: Safe Use of Lasers Outdoors
- ANSI Z136.7-2008: Testing and Labeling of Laser Protective Equipment
- ANSI Z136.8-2012: Safe Use of Lasers in Research, Development, or Testing
- ANSI Z136.9-2013: Safe Use of Lasers in Manufacturing Environments
Talk to a Certified Laser Safety Officer
To learn more about laservision’s auditing process, or to get an estimate, please call one of our CLSOs at 800-393-5565 or click the contact button below.